Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The End is Approaching...

I cannot believe I only have about 2 weeks left of classes! This year really flew by. At this point, I can say I have grown a lot throughout my two semesters at Penn GSE. I feel much more competent and confident as a counselor. The practicum experience I have had this year working at a high school in Philadelphia has given me a realistic look at how the school system functions, the responsibilities counselors typically have on a dat-to-day basis, and how public educational institutions handle students' emotional and behavioral issues as well as personal crises. Most importantly, I had multiple opportunities to practice and refine my individual and group counseling skills.

In addition to the practicum, we were also required to work with a volunteer client throughout the academic year. That experience, in particular, helped me improve my counseling skills and practice utilizing theoretical approaches taught in our counseling interventions and counseling practicum courses. The experiential component of the CMHS program supplemented my courses well and, in my opinion, was the major source of my personal growth.

***For those of you who have decided to join us in the fall, congrats again and welcome :)! You will probably be receiving emails within the next two months about housing, practicum preferences, information on courses, security clearances, etc. If you plan to live on campus, apply online asap so you can get assigned to a room sooner than later! Layouts and rates are on the housing website. I think I may have mentioned this in a previous post, but just to reiterate you will be asked about what type of population (children or adults for example) you want to work with and in what type of setting (mental health agency or school). My advice is to be as specific as you can so that they can place you at an appropriate site. Also, you will be enrolled in your fall semester courses automatically because there is a set curriculum in the first semester, so no need to worry about that! I believe that is all you need to know at this time. Of course if you have additional questions, please feel free to shoot me an email at carusol@gse.upenn.edu or comment on this post.

I am starting to make summer plans (yay!) and will update you soon on those after I do a little research on the events going on in Philly :)...
I will also do a photo post soon since I haven't done one in a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment